Tuesday, February 19, 2013

1/4 Turn Here, 1/4 Turn There

February 19, 2013     I've been wearing my test socket now for 12 days, including the day of my latest checkup with Dennis. He increased the amount of knee flexion that is built into my socket to allow for a slight knee flexion contracture that I've had for a very long time. This simply means that my knee will not completely extend. So, as I've been walking the prosthesis has been causing my knee to extend beyond the contracture and so has been causing the posterior knee pain. Once again, it's a quirky characteristic of my knee, but after making this adjustment and walking for a couple of days, it feels much better. Dennis also slightly changed the 'toe-out' angle to keep my knee in less of a valgus position through the gait cycle.
So, that was Friday February 8. I was still experiencing some knee discomfort, but I decided that I need to just wear the new socket daily, try to push through the discomfort and see if it will work itself out. The idea being that my knee will slowly feel better with the new adjustments. No good. By Thursday, I am feeling more posterior knee pain. But I am certain we are on the right track. I decide to give my knee a break and wear my old prosthesis on Friday (the day of our Valentine's Day date). I call Dennis and after we discuss these results, he gives me instructions to slightly change the flexion in the socket again, trying to add just a bit more. Duane understands how the turn of the anterior and posterior screws changes the angle of the foot, so I let him do the adjustment using Dennis' instructions. A quarter turn each on the anterior and posterior screws and off I go to give it another try. Saturday and Sunday my knee feels nearly perfect. We are so close. On Tuesday, I have Duane turn the A/P screws 1/8 turn again. I am going to let it ride this way for a couple of days and see how it feels.

Valentine's Day Post Script: As noted above, I was wearing my old prosthesis for our Valentine's Day dinner date, so the red-dress-and-pointy-black-shoes worked just fine. We took a few pictures, and they were all lousy iPhone/Pod shots, but I posted one anyway. I will tell you though that after wearing the new socket with the Venture foot for several days, and then switching back to the Seattle foot, I am amazed at the difference! The old Seattle foot is so clunky and uncomfortable, especially with my dress shoes. The Venture foot is a drastic improvement. Like a Cadillac to a 3/4-ton pickup.


No comments:

Post a Comment