Wednesday, March 6, 2013

OK, I'm Ready Now

March 6, 2013     Since this new prosthesis is very different from any previous limbs I have used, I have wanted to be very conservative and take my time to be sure everything is right before the final "pour" to fabricate the permanent limb. Here's my checklist:

_most importantly, the socket is comfortable
_zero skin lesions or pressure points
_gait is natural
_increased ease of movement on stairs and inclines
_height is right
_knee function is maximized
_BONUS: I can balance for a short time on my RIGHT leg and am working on increasing the time

So, with all of these items in place, I decided to try an early morning workout over the weekend; I did a basic, total body/aerobic workout for about 50 minutes. Now, this is a workout I have used many, many times, but NOT in a few months. I haven't been able to work out due to pain (previously) and not while making all of the changes needed to fabricate the new limb.  During the workout, I felt my right leg working harder than usual (and I have noted this in daily activities as well), but I pushed through and finished the workout. Turned out not to be such a great idea. I hobbled around for the entire day with a very sore right knee, while giving this outcome some thought.
I had a theory. In the evening, I weighed myself wearing my old prosthesis and then wearing my test socket. There was approximately a 4.5 pound difference, the test socket being heavier due to the plaster which covers part of it. So, when wearing my test socket, it is like strapping on a 4-pound weight and wearing it around for the entire day.....and during an entire 50-minute workout. That probably explains the soreness, especially since my knee felt much better the following morning. I am encouraged. All of this time, I've been wearing this extra weight, so I am going to think that this has strengthened my right leg muscles and therefore, when I try out my lightweight carbon fiber permanent socket, it is going to feel fantastic. That is my theory. We shall soon see, because this Friday, I go to have the final socket poured. Then Dennis will fabricate it and sometime in the next couple of weeks, I will see if my theory is correct.
Another note: during my workout, my LEFT (unaffected) knee was less stressed than usual. How do I know? I couldn't hear or feel it making it's usual creaks and groans. Definitely a plus. It's all good.

So, I'm ready now to be done with this test socket. Time to move on!


No comments:

Post a Comment