Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Victories







Victories come in different packages. Some victories are small, some are huge. This orchid is very nearly ready to bloom. This is a small victory. I have been watering it and looking for the perfect spot to provide just the right amount of warmth and sunshine so that it desires to bloom. It has taken months. But look! The effort and patience have paid off, and possibly tomorrow it will show us the loveliness of an orchid flower.
A victory necessarily implies some obstacle, something that must be overcome. In this case, it was simply the right amount of water and sun.








Other victories are bigger, with more at stake. More effort, more time, more emotion, more investment, more sacrifice. As I chronicle a part of my journey as an amputee, my heart aches for those who have lost loved ones and those who have lost limbs following the bombings at the Boston Marathon. I can't imagine the pain, but know that I have been praying for patience in your tribulations as you strive for your own victories. I remember that I cannot do it in my own strength, but "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Phil. 4:13)."



So, today my bigger victory pales in comparison to the mountains others have to climb.

If you have read along with me, you know that in recent years, many things I have been accustomed to doing I have had to modify or curtail altogether because of pain. Well, my victory today is that I AM PAIN-FREE! In November, December and January, I had to apply a lidocaine patch to my knee 12 hours per day so that I could function. Now, I am able once again to comfortably take walks with my kids. On a recent camping trip, I was able to almost effortlessly walk up and down the side ramp on our travel trailer. This was something that a few months ago I could not do. So? I can help move the bicycles to and from the trailer. I do not like watching while others do the work. I am now able to walk up and down (most) stairs step-over-step. When my 4-year-old still wants me to pick him up....I can! Walking in the sand used to be intolerable after a couple dozen steps. Now? I spent my stroll on the beach marveling at the beauty of God's creation, soaking in the sun and the sounds; the surf, seagulls, the kids playing. When you have pain, it is difficult to think about those things.














Next post.....the final (final!) socket is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment