Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Chronicle of a Prosthetic Limb....PART THREE




Wednesday, January 16, 2013    Today was my test socket fitting. This is what was fabricated from the fiberglass cast that was taken at my last appointment. I explained to my CPO that I am writing on my blog about this whole process and asked if he objected to my naming him and his business as I write. He doesn't mind. So my CPO is now Dennis (he is Dennis Haun of Metro Prosthetics in Landover). The test socket is a hard opaque plastic. To fit this, there are a few steps. First, lotion is applied to my limb which allows the gel liner (from the last visit) to slide on; next, a thin nylon sock goes over the liner so the socket will slide on; finally, the new test socket is applied. It all feels comfortable so far.
Gel liner applied
Test socket

Nylon sock


My Venture Foot
Dennis makes a few adjustments to the socket to make the fit conform better to my bony knee. He places a dense foam block under the end of my limb so that I am able to bear weight and he checks the alignment of my pelvis to see where it feels level to me. When he measures the distance from the end of my limb to the floor, the measurement is 4 5/8." I need 4 3/8" to be able to use the Echelon foot, so it's looking good for that right now. He explains a couple of things. At my next appointment, I will do some walking and he will do some adjusting. The adjustments happen using a jig which adjusts forward/back and left/right. In order for the jig to be used on the test socket, extra space is required, so for the alignment adjustments, I will be using the Venture foot. When the alignment jig comes off and the final prosthesis is fabricated, the Echelon foot will go on. So, I'll have a chance to try out both feet.
Heating the plastic
Molding the top of the socket

About the gel liner; this is made of really cool stuff ( I know, so technical but it is really cool). Dennis explained that it is urethane and the man who designed this liner is an amputee and also a prosthetist. He found a material that simulates the fat pad under your calcaneus (heel bone), which acts as a shock absorber with each step you take. This urethane material distributes pressure in a similar manner, thus reducing or eliminating pressure sores on the skin (which is a big problem for my knee).

My next appointment is in one week when I will be able to try out the test socket with the foot, do some walking and see how it all works in action.
The kids entertaining themselves with their Legos

Me with Test Socket



1 comment:

  1. Cate, I am sooo excited to think of the possible 'ease' that this might bring!! I remember the concerns that you shared....and as I read this, it seems that all is really going well!!!

    ReplyDelete