Wednesday, April 3, 2013

One Step Closer...

April 3, 2013     




Yesterday I received my permanent socket, but it's not really my permanent socket. The one on the right is the test socket which I've been wearing for the past several weeks/months. The one on the left is the new socket. Dennis is not happy with the result, so he is going back to the workshop to make a new one.
I am now wearing the new socket and he is keeping the test socket to use as his mold. Why is he not happy with the result? He feels that the new socket is too heavy, and when we compare it to my old prosthesis, is does feel slightly heavier, BUT it is much lighter than the test socket, so walking is easier and my knee is happier.
Without going into too much detail, Dennis used some materials for the socket that he hoped would increase the ease of donning and doffing, but that he feels resulted in the socket wall being too thick and therefore too heavy. So in the re-do, he will use some alternate materials which are lighter and thinner to create an overall lighter socket. Then, if issues arise from too much friction during donning/doffing, he can create relief using other methods.



Life does not stop for my prosthetic appointments. Here the kids are doing their school work during my fitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment